Top 3 Best Gluten Free Flour Brands
There are so many gluten free flours to choose from! In my opinion, the 3 best gluten free flour brands listed below definitely outshine the rest!
All of these flours offer their own unique taste and texture. If you’re new to gluten free baking, I recommend trying out each of the flours listed below to decide which one is your favorite.
You’ll be surprised how easy it is to bake with these flours!
We may receive a small commission on certain products or services mentioned in this post. Please read our full Disclosure Policy for more information.
Otto’s Naturals Cassava Flour
Otto’s Naturals Cassava Flour is made with just one plant-based ingredient called Yuca Root.
This specialty flour is free from grains, gluten, and nuts. It is perfect for those on a vegan or paleo diet.
It has a very close taste and texture to wheat flour. Cassava Flour is actually free of the top 8 allergens. This makes it a great alternative for families with multiple food allergies.
Otto’s brand also does not share its equipment with any foods that contain the top 8 allergens. They guarantee that their product is free from these allergens.
This brand of flour is also certified gluten free by the Gluten Intolerance Group.
- 2,795 customers on Amazon have given this product a collective rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars. This flour is also an Amazon’s Choice product.
- Customers say this flour is great for making tortillas, pancakes, cake and more. Customers have been raving that this flour has the same taste and feel of wheat.
- Also, this flour is very easy to use and can easily be used as a substitute to regular wheat flour when baking.
- At about 47 cents per oz ($14.99 per 2lb. bag) it is a bit pricier than some of the other gluten free flours available on the market. However, it is not the most expensive.
- Some customers who purchased this flour have stated that it gives a slight grainy, or “sand-like” texture to their baked goods. They also said it can sometimes feel a bit crunchy.
- Some customers stated that this cassava flour has a very strong smell and they do not care for the texture.
Otto’s Naturals Cassava Flour is highly rated on Amazon. Close to 3,000 customers have stated that it is the only wheat-free flour they have tried that reminds them of wheat.
With the price point being decent and only 3% of customers having issues with this flour, I say it is worth a try! There is also a 1lb. bag available for $9.99, so that might be a good option to start with.
King Arthur Measure for Measure Gluten Free Flour
King Arthur Measure for Measure Gluten Free Flour is a 1:1 substitute for wheat flour. This makes it incredibly easy to replace with any other flour in any baking recipe.
This wheat-free flour is made with rice flour, whole grain brown rice flour, whole sorghum flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, cellulose, xanthan gum, and a vitamin and mineral blend.
King Arthur Measure for Measure Flour is verified by the Non-GMO Project. It is also Certified Gluten-Free by The GFCO and is also certified Kosher and Non-Dairy.
- 11,667 customers on Amazon have given this product a collective rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars. This flour is also an Amazon’s Choice product.
- Customers that have purchased this product state that this is the perfect substitute for regular flour for anyone that either wants or needs to remove Gluten from their diet.
- They say that there are no off-putting odors, gumminess, grit, or other strange textures in the finished product like you sometimes get with other wheat-free flours.
- Customers have used this flour to bake brownies, scones, pancakes, pie crust, quick bread, and more. These customers state that all their baked goods were completely comparable to the ones they have previously made with wheat flour.
- King Arthur Flour is also one of the most cost-effective wheat free flours with it being priced at just $7.58 per 3lb. bag. Plus, it goes on sale via Amazon quite often.
- Some customers have stated that this is not the best flour for baking recipes that require rising with yeast, as it does not rise very well.
- This is not the best flour to use if you need to be on a grain free diet, as King Arthur flour does contain grains such as rice flour and whole grain brown rice flour.
This is actually the only gluten free flour that I use in my home. I absolutely love that it is a 1:1 substitute so I can use it for any recipe.
The taste is great and with most things I bake such as bread, brownies, and cake, I cannot even tell that it is gluten free.
The price of this flour is one of the cheapest. Also, only 1% of reviewers gave this an unsatisfactory rating. So I say it’s definitely worth the purchase to try it out!
Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour is a 1:1 replacement flour. It allows you to easily replace any other flours in your original baking recipes.
Additionally, this gluten free all-purpose flour mix was formulated specifically to create baked goods with an incredible texture and taste without the need for additional specialty ingredients.
The Bob’s Red Mill company has built a separate 100% gluten free facility to assure the integrity of their gluten free products.
Bob’s Red Mill also runs batch tests in their quality control laboratory using an ELISA Gluten Assay test. Specifically, this is done so that you can be assured that your flour is allergen-free.
- Over 900 customers on Amazon have given this product a collective rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars. This flour is also an Amazon’s Choice product.
- This Bob’s Red Mill brand gluten free flour is sold on Amazon for just 19 cents per ounce. That makes this flour one of the cheaper options for gluten free flours available on the market currently.
- Customers that have purchased this brand of gluten free flour on Amazon have stated that it is an amazing substitute for wheat flour. It works great for any recipe because you don’t have to buy any extra ingredients to mix with it.
- Some customers that have purchased this flour on Amazon have stated that the texture is not great. Some customers say that it has a gritty “sand-like” texture. Other customers have stated that it is very gummy or tough.
- $4.16 for a bag of flour that is slightly over 1lb. is a decent price. However, this is definitely not the cheapest gluten free flour that is available.
If you want to make something with a gluten free flour without changing your recipe, flour with a 1:1 ratio will definitely be best.
All you need to do is replace the flour with a cup for a cup. This Bob’s Red Mill Flour provides exactly that.
With this brand of flour being one of the cheaper options for gluten free flour on the market right now, I say it is a great option for beginners who are new to baking with gluten free flour.
Which Brand of Gluten Free Flour is Best?
King Arthur Gluten Free Flour is definitely my favorite. I love this flour! It has a great texture and the taste is fantastic.
Plus, it’s affordable which is perfect for those on a budget. I have tried many allergen-free flours over the course of our gluten free journey and in my opinion, King Arthur is the best flour substitute for baking.
It is my opinion that King Arthur flour is the best substitute flour for bread as well. I have made many loaves of bread with this flour and it turns out great every time.
You can even use it to make bread in your bread machine!
What Gluten Free Flour Can I Substitute for All-Purpose Flour?
There are many different types of flours to choose from including white rice, brown rice, quinoa, sorghum, lentil, and more.
However, if you are wanting to have a great replacement for all-purpose flour specifically, you will definitely want to use a 1:1 flour.
If you cannot find a good 1:1 gluten free flour, rice flour is a great option for baking. This is especially true since it is higher in protein, fiber, and Vitamin B than other flour.
It will provide an earthy flavor to your baked goods which can be quite appealing for certain recipes. Sorghum flour also works well as it has the most gluten free properties out of any other wheat-free flour.
Which Gluten Free Flour is Most Like Wheat Flour?
While there are many gluten free flours that work well in baking, the one closest to wheat flour is sorghum.
Sorghum contains a protein called amylopectin which closely resembles the structure of wheat flour. It actually behaves similarly to wheat when mixed with other ingredients.
This makes it an excellent choice for replicating bread or cookies because they will have the same texture and mouthfeel as their wheat flour counterparts.
Is Sorghum Expensive?
In general, sorghum is a more affordable option than some other gluten free flour. This is because it’s less expensive to produce in larger quantities.
Sorghum flour can be used to make bread like focaccia or bagels and also cookies like chocolate chip or peanut butter. Sorghum flour can also be used to make cakes and muffins.
This is also the best allergen-free flour for pie crust with the help of some starch such as tapioca or arrowroot.
The resulting dough of using Sorghum for pie crust is not quite like wheat flour. However, it does hold together better than other gluten free flours. Other types of wheat-free flour tend to fall apart often when rolling out pastry dough.
What is The Best Gluten-Free Flour for Pasta?
One of the top substitute flours for wheat pasta is chickpea flour. This type of flour is a very high protein.
If you want to make energy bars and other types of baked goods, chickpea flour is also excellent for this! This is because it provides an excellent source of fiber.
What is The Best Gluten Free Flour for Pastry?
The best substitute flour for pastry is rice flour. You can use rice flour alone, or mix it with other flours. Mixing with other flours will create a rich, dense texture for baked goods like pies and cookies.
Rice flour has the lowest protein content of all gluten-free flour. This makes it important to use an additional source of starch such as cornstarch to help keep the dough from getting too sticky.
Rice flour mixes well with other wheat-free flour as well such as sorghum and gluten free oat flour. This creates a more balanced texture without sacrificing flavor or nutrition.
It’s also great for cakes because it has a high starch content. This gives cakes a spongy lightness not found in other gluten free flours.
What is The Best Gluten Free Flour for Pancakes?
The best flour for making pancakes is a mix of gluten free flours like an all-purpose 1:1 and almond.
An all-purpose 1:1 has the protein content you need to give your bread structure.
Almonds are full of healthy fats, fiber, antioxidants, and vitamin E which help keep them moist when baking.
You can use this combo of flours to make delicious waffles too!